Looking for holiday gift ideas for CAD users and engineers? The holiday season is right around the corner and it’s never too soon to start thinking about what presents you are going to get your friends, family, or coworkers. To help you out, I’ve made a list of items I think would be very useful or exciting for your fellow CATIA users. Some of these items I use on a daily basis and others are things that are on my own personal wish list. Enjoy and feel free to suggest items by leaving a comment below!
CATIA Programming Books
- VB Scripting for CATIA V5: How to program CATIA macros by Emmett Ross. The first book to teach you how to program macros for CATIA V5 with no prior programming experience required. Download it instantly here.
- CATIA V5 Macro Programming with Visual Basic Script by Dieter Ziethen. Shows you, step by step, how to create your own macros that automate repetitive tasks, accelerate design procedures, and automatically generate complex geometries. Filled with full-color screenshots and illustrations, this practical guide walks you through the entire process of writing, storing, and executing reusable macros for CATIA V5. Nice alternative to Emmett's book but more expensive.
Programming and Other Books
- Mastering VBA for Office 2010 by Richard Mansfield. Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) is the language used for writing macros, automating Office applications, and creating custom applications in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access. This complete guide shows both IT professionals and novice developers how to master VBA in order to customize the entire Office suite for specific business needs.
- Excel 2010 Bible by John Walkenbach:This is by far the best Excel book I have ever found for anyone who uses Microsoft Excel spreadsheets on a daily basis.
Other Tech, Gadgets, and Toys
- Google ChromeCast HDMI Streaming Media Player. Stream YouTube videos right to your TV using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop!
- R/C Helicopter. This Brand New 3 Channel mini rc helicopter is the world's newest, most durable and stable helicopter. The item comes with the latest gyro system for precision control. The metal frame has proven to withstand dozens of crashes.
- LEGO Mindstorms EV3 31313: Create and command robots that do what you want. Includes 3 interactive servo motors, remote control, improved and redesigned color sensor, redesigned touch sensor, infrared sensor and 550+ LEGO Technic elements. Intuitive software (PC and Mac) with icon-based drag-and-drop programming interface Control and command your robot with the enclosed remote control or download the free app for your smart device.
- HDMI Pocket Projector. Projects up to 1080p HD images up to 60" diagonal. Rechargeable and portable. Connects via HDMI to most smartphones, tablets, computers, video players, cameras and more.
- Breaking Bad: Complete Series. All seasons plus tons of amazing extras for the greatest show on television. The episode titled "Ozymandias" is my favorite episode of any TV show I've ever seen.
I highly recommend joining Amazon Prime. If you order something off of Amazon on average once per month then it pays for itself, or if you're ordering a bunch of gifts this holiday season it probably will too. The FREE two day shipping is awesome and everything I've ordered really has come in two days or less. You can also stream movies, TV shows, and get a Kindle book every month. Great alternative for Netflix or Hulu and well worth the investment in my opinion. Cheers!
What's on your 2013 holiday wish list?