Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How do you clear history in CATIA?


If you are a regular user of CATIA V5 like I am then you may have run across this error: "operation cannot be completed because part is already in session. Please close the session to complete the operation." This error may occur because of a scenario like this:

I open a Product that contains Part A, Part B, and Part C. I open Part D, modify it, and close it. According to the Desk, Link, and Windows open, the only thing now open is Product with Part A, Part B, and Part C. I go to insert an existing part into the Product, and browse to Part D. The error message above pops up.


How do I close the session without having to completely close and reopen CATIA? There is way to clear the memory cache without having to restart. It is called "Clear History." To find the clear history icon follow these instructions:

  • Right click on a toolbars
  • Select "Customize"
  • Click on tab "Commands"
  • Click "All commands" in left frame
  • Drag´n drop the Command "Clear History" in right frame, to some toolbars.
The icon looks like a grey gear with a green check mark in front of it. I think that if you have nothing open in your Catia, the icon will be grayed out. If you open one document the icon will be available. Hopefully this helps eliminate some aggravation.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!